Healthiest Babies Fundraiser. Support Vulnerable New Moms and their Infants Help them get the very…
Normally, I go for sweet breakfasts. As you might remember, I’m a huge smoothie fan, and I love oatmeal too. On weekends though, I always crave savoury breakfasts. I’m unsure if it’s the luxury of sleeping in and having time to prepare an elaborate meal, or if it’s because my partner loves savoury breakfasts and we can make food together, but come Saturday, savoury breakfasts steal the show.
My go-to savoury breakfasts were always eggs. While I still love them, I recently ventured into the world of tofu scrambles (just to mix it up. Get it?!). The verdict? Amazing. Tofu scrambles might seem intimidating, but they’re surprisingly easy, hearty, and cheap. An added bonus: they look almost identical to scrambled eggs, which even fooled my egg-obsessed boyfriend.
Here’s a how-to guide on how to make the perfect veggie-laden, protein-packed, tofu scramble for vegans and non-vegans alike. This dish is:
- Has a bit of a kick (from the turmeric and cayenne)
Turmeric Tofu Scramble Recipe
- 1/2 package (15 oz.) organic firm tofu (sprouted is ideal – it’s easier on your digestive system)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- Oil for cooking (we like avocado oil)
- Any veggies that are tasty sauteed. I like kale, tomatoes, mushrooms, or onions, but use whichever ones you have lying around.
- Drain tofu from the package. Pat with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- First, start sauteing your veggies. If you’re using onions, saute those first for about a minute or so. Add ½ tsp of turmeric, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. If you have mushrooms, add those next. After a few minutes, add the garlic and tomatoes. After about 5 more minutes, add your kale. Saute for 30 seconds or so, remove from heat and set aside.
- Now back to the tofu. Break it into small crumbs and add it to a bowl. Then add your nutritional yeast, your other ½ tsp of turmeric, pepper and non-dairy milk. Stir well.
- Add tofu to a pan on medium-high heat with a tablespoon of oil. Cook for about 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mix in your veggies. Add more spices if need be. Top with parsley and serve with toast.