Approximately 50,000+ children and youth were living in poverty in Calgary before the pandemic hit.…
Ah, summer. The time for hiking, barbecues, and iced drinks (seriously, my ice consumption probably increases about 200%). While it’s not technically summer yet, it very well feels like it. And that means iced beverages galore.
If you’re looking for a thirst-quenching, healthy beverage to enjoy on a hot day, look no further. Unlike the sugar-laden slushies of our childhoods, this slushie is almost entirely watermelon: AKA, hydration. Watermelon is about 92% water, and if you include coconut water, you’ll get your fair share of rejuvenating electrolytes. Not only is this beverage hydrating, but it’s refined-sugar free, rich in potassium, and vegan. Bonus: kids love it too!
Enjoy this slushie on a warm Saturday afternoon, and if it’s that kind of afternoon, a touch of vodka is a great addition (not for the kids though, obviously).
How To Make a 4-Ingredient Watermelon Slushie
- 4 cups frozen watermelon cubes
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup watermelon juice (or coconut water)
- Optional: ½ tbsp maple syrup (or honey, if not vegan)
- Optional: 4 leaves fresh mint
- To make frozen watermelon cubes, simply cut up fresh watermelon into bite-sized chunks and freeze. Easy as that.
- Once you have your frozen watermelon cubes, blend all ingredients well.
- For the kids: serve as is. For the adults (if you’re feeling it): add 1 oz alcohol of choice, and top with fresh mint if using.
Find all your watermelon slushie ingredients at your nearest Blush Lane!